What To Know When Renting An Apartment For The First Time
If it’s your first time renting, and ultimately great experience can seem daunting at first. We’ve got years of experience with renting and are ready to guide you through what to expect when looking for an apartment. Following these steps will help make the journey of finding your new home seamless.
- First and foremost, defining a budget will help you determine which communities you begin your search with. We recommend spending no more than 30 percent of your gross income on rent. Depending on where you choose, this price will likely not include utilities, furniture, etc. Follow the 50/30/20 rule to save for the security deposit or first month’s rent.
- Take a walkthrough of the entire community, not just the apartment. Take note of the amenities your future unit will include, including balconies and common spaces. Top-notch facilities such as recreation rooms and gyms, pools, storage or parks impact the cost of the rent. If having the best amenities is a priority, you’ll want to budget accordingly. Keep in mind that aiming for higher-class amenities could eliminate the need to pay external gym fees.
- If you don’t have a car, map out where public transportation picks up and drops off commuters, along with researching the cost of a COTA monthly pass.
- If utilities aren’t included in the rent, inquire from the leasing manager on the estimated cost of utilities each month.
- Do you plan on having visitors often? If so, you’ll want to find a community with ample guest parking. Having easy access to additional spots can dramatically change your apartment experience.
- Don’t forget to purchase renter’s insurance! This easy-to-overlook benefit can be a lifesaver in the event of an emergency. Your car insurance company should offer a bundle. Be sure to add renter’s insurance to your plan before moving in.
- Get to know your neighbors, you’ll be next to one another for a long time. Become friends and get to know each other. Living in a community where your neighbors become just that – a community – make the biggest impact of all when choosing your new home.
Are you ready to become a renter for the first time? Do you have a question we didn’t cover? At Orange Grand Communities, our team is ready to help you choose your new apartment or home. Schedule a tour with one of our leasing agents or apply for a lease today.